Some very useful tips for how to hit your wedges well:
– set up with more weight on left foot.
– ball position slightly back of centre.
– keep weight left, no shift to right needed. Just gentle rocking motion.
– major swing key: hinge wrists early, as soon as you start to take the club away.
I find that this technique works with the 9 iron too.
Chipping is often viewed as just a shorter version of the pitch but it isn’t.
Set up is very similar:
– but I prefer a slightly open stance
– some forward shaft lean but don’t go berserk on it.
– think about sliding the club head under the ball. Use the bounce.
– major swing key and biggest difference to pitching: keep the arms straight, relaxed but straight. Do not hinge the wrists.
Works quite well for me!